- Respect for Diversity and Team Work
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of a new organizational structure and the filling of vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for a position in the Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (IBAR) Nairobi, Kenya which is mainly in charge of being the vehicle for the AU to develop an appropriate and independent expertise in the area of animal health and production for the alleviation of poverty of those involved in livestock farming and food security in Member States.
The Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) is a specialised technical office of the Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment (DARBE) of the African Union Commission (AUC). AU-IBAR’s mandate is to support and coordinate the utilization of livestock, fisheries and wildlife as resources for both human wellbeing and economic development in the Member States of the African Union (AU).
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for a position at the Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources, Nairobi/Kenya.
Main functions include:
- Establish and maintain an on-line procurement monitoring, tracking and reporting system in accordance with AU procurement, financial management and data management requirements.
- Receive requests and initiates procurement actions from Unit and project staff, and others as appropriate.
- Lead actions in support of routine and emergency procurement actions by working closely with the agency Finance Officer and the Procurement, Travel and Stores Division to ensure appropriate fiscal management (e.g., cost allocation and reconciliation reporting) and procurement (e.g., documentation, work- flow and approvals) practices are followed.
- Liaise with Unit and project staff as needed on all issues relating to the preparation, processing, and subsequent reporting on requested procurements, including delivery and reception dates for goods and services.
Under the direct supervision of the SHRA and the overall direction of the Director of AU-IBAR. He/she shall perform the following tasks:
- Provide procurement processing updates and routine documents and reports to the Office as required
- Ensure all relevant documentation are maintained in accordance with appropriate IBAR data security and access controls, and records management system requirements, including digitalization of all documents.
- Deliver reports in accordance with the appropriate requirements of the Department and Commission, applicable donor agreements, and both internal and external audit guidelines.
- Initiate requests to all IBAR staff for inputs in the development of the Annual Procurement Plan.
- Compile and deliver the Annual Procurement Plan summary report and other periodical reports, including those requested by partners, in keeping with stated reporting requirements and deadlines;
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
The incumbent should have the following qualifications: -
University Master's Degree in Procurement and Logistics, Supply Chain Management/Materials Management, Business Administrations or related field; Membership to a professional body such as CIPS will be an added advantage with 7 years continuous experience in providing procurement, logistics or related program management services support for a public and/or private sector agency or program of considerable complexity and size; of experience out of which 3 at a supervisory level.
University Bachelor Degree in Procurement and Logistics, Supply Chain Management/Materials Management, Business Administrations or related field; With 10 years of experience in continuous experience in providing procurement, logistics or related program management services support for a public and/or private sector agency or program of considerable complexity and size; relevant domain out of which 5 at a supervisory level.
- Professionalism - Proven expertise and demonstrated in-depth technical knowledge in procurement processes
- Leadership: ability to lead and coordinate a team of professionals from diverse origins and backgrounds
- Planning and organising - Proven ability to plan and organise work within a project; ability to make timely decisions;
- Communication - Effective written, oral and presentation skills, particularly ability to present information in a concise and accurate manner; ability to develop consensus among people with varying points of view.
- Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate effectively across organisational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Judgement/Decision-making - Good judgement and initiative, imagination and resourcefulness, energy and tact, ability to ensure an effective work structure to maximise productivity and achieve Unit’s goals.
- Well-developed computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet applications and use of the Internet are required.
- Time management – ability to adhere to set targets and deadlines
- At least, 7 years related experience in Procurement in research or government institutions or international organizations.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the following:
- Comprehensive knowledge in legal/contract management,
- Experience in routine and emergency procurement processing and reporting, shipping and receiving, and inventory control in medium to large organizations.
- Experience in supporting and leading development of complex procurements, e.g., purchase orders, contracts grants and cooperative agreements.
- Monitoring and Evaluation,
- Office and project management.
- Experience in an international work environment is highly desirable
- A minimum of 3 years in a senior management position.
The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an as-needed basis.
- Procurement plan and report compiled
- Quarterly Publication of consultancies online
- End to end procurement process undertaken for IBAR projects
- Drafting of supplier and consultant contracts
- Mechanism for tracking project progress developed and operationalized
- Periodic procurement status updates submitted/delivered to the project team
- Convening the Local Internal Procurement Committee meetings and attendance at the AUC Internal Procurement Committee meetings
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Consultant shall be stationed at AU-IBAR office for the duration of the Contract and will work within the stipulated working hours for the office with travel on specific assignments agreed with the AU-IBAR Management.
The duration of this assignment is 6 months. The selected candidate should be available to undertake this assignment with minimum delay.
The remuneration for this Consultancy is set at P2 step 5. (Local USD 5,303.00; International USD 6,550.00) Expenses for missions will be covered separately in accordance with the applicable African Union Commission rules and regulations.
The applications will be evaluated on the basis of the relevant technical qualifications, experience and competence of the candidates.
The deadline for submission of proposals is 09th February 2023, Nairobi Local Time.
The address for submission of applications is: Applications including detailed curriculum vitae (CV) should be submitted through email to: email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documents forming part of this Consultancy:
- Terms of reference
- Declaration on exclusion criteria
- Data protection and privacy statement
Documents to be submitted with the application:
- Curriculum Vitae including references of previous relevant work experience
- Copies of relevant academic and professional certificates
- Identification documents e.g. national passport or ID with relevant biodata pages
- Signed declaration on exclusion criteria